Sweet Potato Falafels
Preparation 15 mins Cooking 45-60 mins Serves 16 – 20 falafels
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (around 700 g)
- 1 tbsp. MasterFoods Cumin Ground
- 2 tsp. MasterFoods Coriander Ground
- 2 tsp. MasterFoods Paprika Ground
- 2 tsp. MasterFoods Dill Leaf Tips
- 2 tsp. MasterFoods Garlic Finely Crushed
- 1 to 2 big handfuls each of fresh coriander and parsley, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 to 2 limes, plus extra wedges for serving
- 90 g to 120 g gram or chickpea flour
- ½ cup MasterFoods Vegan Mayonnaise
- A splash of olive oil
- Sprinkling of black sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pitta bread, red cabbage slaw, hummus, and assorted pickles, to serve
- Pre-heat oven 200°C. Lightly oil the whole sweet potatoes and poke several times over with a fork. Season lightly and bake off for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Leave to cool, peel skin and remove flesh into large bowl. Keep the oven set to 200°C as it will be used again in the recipe.
- Add the cumin, garlic, paprika, ground and fresh coriander, parsley, lime zest and juice and gram flour/chickpea flour into a large bowl.
- Mash the mixture until smooth with no large chunks. Place the mixture in the fridge to firm up for an hour, or the freezer for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, mix the dill and mayonnaise and set aside.
- The mix should be sticky rather than overly wet. You can add a tablespoon or so more of flour if necessary (the water content of sweet potatoes varies enormously).
- Lightly oil two baking trays. Roll a heaped tablespoon of the mixture (around 20g to 30 g) into a ball and slightly flatten onto oiled tray.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top and bake for around 15 minutes until bases are golden brown. Squeeze over lime juice while still warm.
- Serve with pitta bread, red cabbage slaw, hummus, pickles, and the vegan dill mayonnaise.
- The batter can be made a day or two in advance.
- There are numerous spices to also try – MasterFoods Cinnamon Ground and MasterFoods Oregano Leaves are also delicious.
- For mayonnaise with an extra kick, add MasterFoods Chilli Sprinkle.
Print this recipe