- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Red Onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp. Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, finely grated or shredded with a papaya cutter
- 60 g Pepperoni, cut into strips
- 1 cup Spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp. MasterFoods™ Oregano Leaves
- ½ cup mixed cheese, such as shredded Mozzarella, Cheddar and Parmesan
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup MasterFoods™ Tomato Sauce, plus extra for dipping
- ½ cup Plain Flour, plus more if needed
- Handful of Basil leaves
- Heat half the olive oil in frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Cook onions until just starting to soften, then add fennel seeds and cook for another minute. Add the white wine vinegar, remove from heat and leave to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sweet potato, spinach, pepperoni, oregano, cheese, and cooled onion mix.
- Stir in the beaten egg and tomato sauce, then fold in the flour and mix until no dry spots remain, taking care not to over work the mixture.
- Heat the remaining half the olive oil in frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Place two tablespoons of mixture into the pan and gently flatten. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, plate fritters with fresh basil scattered on top and extra tomato sauce on the side for dipping.
- For extra crispiness and crunch, finely grate over parmesan cheese when frying in pan on each side.
- Can be served with mustards and chilli sauces.
- For heat, add a teaspoon or two of MasterFoods™ Chilli Sprinkle.